I've been looking for a movie meme for sometime but have not been having much luck finding a decent one. Until, that is, SJ e-mailed this one to me that she created all by her lonesome. Eventually she will answer her own meme and post it either on The Write Coast or on Listaholic. Until that time, though, I have it here for you. Oh, and I love the title.
1. What was the very first movie you saw? How old were you, and what did you think of it?
Star Wars when I was two or three years old either in 1977 or '78. I'm assuming I loved it considering my subsequent addiction to all things Star Wars.
2. What do you consider the all-around BEST movie you've ever seen? (Only one, now!) What's so great about it?
I'm going with To Kill A Mockingbird since I can only pick one. Great film with a timeless story and spectacular acting.
3. Now choose the hands-down WORST movie you've ever attempted to watch. (Again, only one!) What makes it such a dud?
I could tick some people off and say Empire Records, but it wasn't the worst. Just bad. But I'll go with Howard the Duck... c'mon, do I really have to detail why? That should be rather obvious.
4. Good, bad or otherwise, pick your all-time FAVORITE movie, and tell us why.
The Shawshank Redemption. There is nothing bad about it. It's one of the only films that can make that claim.
5. Name a movie you've seen so many times you know every line of dialog, and give us your favorite quote from it.
Real Genius - "was it one of those dreams where you're standing in sort of sun-God robes on top of a pyramind with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?... why am I the only person who has that dream?"
6. Who's the one film character you could swear was based on you? How so?
Clark Kent... minus any chance of ever becoming Superman. I'm an awkward, bumbling idiot. I admit it.
7. Ever been told you resemble an actor? Which one?
No actor that I'm aware of. But, back in the days when I had hair, I was told I look a lot like Mancow Muller the shock radio DJ.
8. If you could play any role in a film's remake, which would it be?
Michael Bolton (David Herman) in Office Space. Not sure why.
9. What actor makes you reluctant to see a film, just knowing s/he's in it?
Lately, Tom "the raving lunatic" Cruise
10. Best book-to-movie translation you've seen?
Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness into Apocalypse Now. No, it's not a direct translation of the book -- hell, it's not really all that close at all -- but Francis Ford Coppola did such a fantastic job with it that it deserves recognition. He brought a whole new angle to the interpretation of Conrad's words that I think the author would have been awfully damn proud.
11. Worst book-to-movie translation you've seen?
Michael Crichton's The Lost World (the sequel to Jurassic Park). Crichton was practically forced to write the sequel to Jurassic Park because of contractual obligations, so he did it begrudgingly. And then Steven Spielberg and the writers ditched his words entirely. Really sad because Crichton did, what I thought at the time, to be a great job considering the pressure. The movie is nothing at all like the book.
12. Crappy movie, awesome soundtrack: What film comes to mind?
Grosse Pointe Blank. Another movie I just don't get, but both volumes of the soundtrack rock.
13. What movie do you think is most highly over-rated?
There's Something About Mary. 7.1 out of 10 at IMDb? Are you kidding me? Fargo makes this list as well.
14. Pick a little-known film you feel everyone should see.
Hable Con Ella (trans: "Talk To Her") - a spectacular Spanish film about love and obsession. Additionally, any Star Wars fan should see Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress just to see from where Lucas' derived his inspiration. Some runners up include Narc, The Red Violin, and Requiem for a Dream.
15. If they make a movie about your life, what should they title it? Who should be cast as you?
Misery about a female blogger who, out of obsessive desperation and a need for new posts, kidnaps her favorite blogger (me, played by Eric Bana - I feel he's the closest Hollywood likeness to myself) and hijinx ensue. Yeah, okay, so it's not about my real life, per se. But, really, who knows what kind of wackiness is in store for me in the future.