Hey all, Merry Christmas!
Yes, I said it. I opted for political incorrectness and y'all are just gonna have to deal with it. Heh.
I just wanted to quickly share one gift that we exchanged. This was with some of the cousins on Katie's mom's side of the family. In lieu of regular, paid-for, what-retailers-are-begging-for gifts, we decided to make mix CDs of music we enjoy for everybody else. No, we're not making mix discs of music the recipient would like. These are of music we like in order to potentially introduce the recipient to new stuff.
Sounds like it should be pretty cool. Especially being the music fiend I am, right?
Not so. I hate making mix albums. I was dreading this. I remember the John Cusack character (Rob Gordon) in High Fidelity describing all the work he puts into the creation of a mix tape and similar information is shared by Rob Sheffield in his book Love is a Mix Tape. And, based solely on this input, I've been scared off of ever making mixes. Stuff like the delicate mix between soft and fast music, the blending of the end of one track into the beginning of the next, etc. I'm a perfectionist and, if I can't do something right, I don't want to do it at all. That's just how I am.
However, after making the actual exchange yesterday, I feel much better about it. Everyone was really excited checking out the mixes that we all put together. Then, with those couple of people that forgot to include a tracklist, we threw the discs in a stereo and played "Name that Song." It was really fun despite my earlier dread. And Katie and I are kinda hoping we do it again next year. Heck, she's already planning out what she wants to do for hers.
But here are the albums we put together. Let me know what you think.
First, the covers. The covers are basically a photo of us die cut on top of a wallpaper of the album art for the songs contained on the disc. Disc one on the left is the disc in Katie's name and disc two is the one from me.
And now for the music...
Disc 1 (Katie's mix):
- The Smiths - "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want"
- Pete Yorn & Scarlett Johansson - "Relator"
- Rascal Flatts - "Life is a Highway" - she was worried about this fitting in, but it actually sounds decent, I think
- She & Him - "Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?"
- Dave Matthews Band - "Why I Am"
- Weezer - "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To"
- Scissor Sisters - "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'"
- Katy Perry - "Hot n Cold"
- Doves - "There Goes the Fear"
- Norah Jones - "Chasing Pirates"
- Imani Coppola - "Legend of a Cowgirl"
- Lady Gaga - "The Fame"
- Phoenix - "Rome"
- I Fight Dragons - "Heads Up, Hearts Down"
- The All-American Rejects - "Gives You Hell"
- 30 Seconds to Mars - "This is War"
- Paramore - "Ignorance"
- Pearl Jam - "Just Breathe"
Disc 2 (my mix):
- The Flaming Lips - "Race for the Prize"
- Matt & Kim - "Lessons Learned"
- Pomplamoose - "Beat the Horse"
- The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - "The Tenure Itch"
- The Republic Tigers - "Buildings & Mountains"
- Blitzen Trapper - "Gold for Bread"
- Stardeath and White Dwarfs - "New Heat"
- The Mooney Suzuki - "Alive & Amplified"
- Tokyo Police Club - "Tesselate"
- Razorlight - "America"
- Phoenix - "Lasso"
- Silverchair - "Straight Lines"
- Wolfmother - "New Moon Rising"
- Damone - "Out Here All Night"
- Foo Fighters - "Wheels"
- Bear in Heaven - "You Do You"
- Modest Mouse - "Guilty Cocker Spaniel"
- Dungen - "Du ar for Fin for Mig"
I was expecting most people to not know a majority of the stuff on my disc. I relish the thought of it being a musical expedition of sorts.
Alice at Beyond Alice and Through the Looking Glass has bequeathed unto me the Lemonade Award, or at least that's what I think it's called. Might have something to do with being able to turn lemons into lemonade via your blog posting or maybe it has more to do with having posts that grate on your nerves like a sour lemon. Meh, I'll take it either way. Thanks Alice!
And now for the rules...
- Put the Lemonade logo on your blog or within your post.
- Nominate at least 10 blogs with great attitude or gratitude.
- Link the nominees within your post.
- Let the nominees know they have received this award by commenting on their blog.
- Share the love and link to the person from whom you received this award.
Well, let's see what I can cobble together here. Mind you, these are just 10 of the many blogs I read and love every day. So, if you're not included, it's not from a lack of love. Trust me on that one.
Oh, and as for the fourth bullet, I may or may not get around to that right away. We all know my piss-poor commenting of late.
- Marie's Blog Cafe
- Kev's Useless Bollocks
- Sybil Law
- Charm School Reject
- Katie Schwartz
- So a Blonde Walks Into a Blog
- Banal Leakage
- Life is Not a Movie
Merry Christmas to all my lemonheads out there!
Well, I'm outta here. Talk atcha soon.