I was recently tagged by Carol with a book meme. It's taken me a couple of days, but I'm finally getting to it. So here goes...
THE BOOK MEME
The Number Of Books I Own
Only about 150 actually. I'm a big proponent of recirculating books so I'm constantly trying to find used book stores to sell my old books to. Of course, they close down more readily than frozen yogurt stands these days, so my resale outlet opportunities are quickly dwindling.
Last Books I Bought
I picked up five or six books from a used book sale at our library this past weekend. I don't remember what all of them were, but I do remember it included Elmore Leonard's Out of Sight and Leonard Mosley's Hirohito, Emperor of Japan. Katie just went out and picked up hardcover copies of the three Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books. She finished reading all three in only about a week's time. And I'm sure we will be heading to Border's pretty soon to place our pre-order for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
Last Book I Read
I just finished reading Leander Kahney's Cult of Mac and I wasn't entirely impressed. It could've been so much more. C'est la vie. Maybe I should write my own. I'm now reading Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted.
Five Books That Mean A Lot
This is not an easy question to field, but I'll see if I can get it...
- Ethan Coen's Gates of Eden - I love short stories and this is a spectacular collection of them. Plus it holds sentimental value for me in that it was the book I was reading when Katie and I started dating. She slipped a note to me in the book that I found when I was on a staff retreat while working at NIU.
- Stephen King's Different Seasons - Again, one of the finest collections of short stories (actually, novellas) around especially since we all know King can't finish a novel to save his life anymore. Also sentimental in that Katie tracked down a hardcover first edition of this book for me as a grad school graduation gift. Sadly, I still haven't finished it. I need to sit down and read The Breathing Method. I've read the other three a few times each.
- Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy hardcover compendium (I'd link it but Amazon doesn't list it) - It's a really nice black hardcover collection of all the Hitchhiker stories in one book. The cover is gold embossed and it just looks beautiful on my bookshelf. Even with the title typo on the spine of the book. They spelled "Zaphod" with an i so now it's "Zaphoid." Go fig.
- Christopher Moore's Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal - this one was recommended to me a couple years ago by my friend, Juliette. I finally remembered to pick up a copy in April 2004 while on a business trip in Washington, D.C. Never before have I found a book that managed to tackle modern religion with such wit, brutal honesty, and reverence all in one fell swoop. I have recommended this book to more people than all other books I've recommended combined.
- Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Also known as Blade Runner. This is the first, and so far only, PKD story I've read and I loved it. A very surreal tale of a man who hunts android replicants in the future. What makes it special is that this is a copy of the book printed in the 80s with the Blade Runner movie cover on it and it belonged to my friend Stephen who, despite owning this book for the better part of his life, thought enough of me as a friend to give it to me. It's in good hands, Gundark.
One Book That I Would Like To Burn
Sorry, but I've got two...
- L. Ron Hubbard's Scientology: The Fundamentals of Thought
- Michael Berg's The Way: Using the Wisdom of Kabbalah for Spiritual Transformation and Fulfillment
These two books, and their various permutations, have transformed far too many people in the entertainment industry into self-righteous assholes.
SJ at Chronic Listaholic added some questions to her version of this meme. I really don't want to add more questions to what is already a long meme, so check her answers out (scroll down to 6/9/05).
People I'd Like To See Waste Some Time On This Meme Nonsense
I don't have anybody to pass this to in the Blogging universe. All my friends have already been tagged with this one. I'm one of the last to get it.
Wait, after looking a little more carefully, I can hit Kazza with it. Tag, you're it.