Taped 10...
Macro Monday 2019.20...


It was an oddly, er, productive evening last night?

As you know, Katie and Nathan were at a sleepover birthday party for his cousin. They had a lot of fun although they didn't get a lot of sleep. 

Me? As I reported, I went and did some cassette shopping. I also hung out in the garage and listened to some of them while having a beer and talking to the neighbors.

I did not go over to the neighbors' party and eat some kabobs. I didn't even really talk to them all that much. They had a bunch of friends over and Uber'd to a bar downtown. I wasn't really feeling that so I stuck around the garage. 

I wound up listening to all but one of the tapes I bought and they sound magnificent. All of them. 

But I was feeling idle so I decided to do some stuff in the garage. I cleaned up some tools, re-organized some drawers, put a few things away, threw out some others, cleared out my tool bucket, and, best of all, worked on my r/c truck. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 1.46.55 PM

I'm not sure if I ever covered this here, but, last fall, Nathan and I took the truck down to another neighbor's house - Greg. He's a big r/c junkie and he was racing around the street outside and I decided to see how my little truck holds up against his. Mine is fast, damn fast. Faster than almost all his cars and trucks. And it only has a stock motor.

But the difference lies in that mine is a little less rugged than his. I discovered this while jumping off the ramps he had set up. I rolled end over end on one jump and, when I flipped her back on her tires, the motor wasn't engaging at all. 

Back in the day, this wouldn't have been a problem for me because I was all about r/c car building, racing, and modifying. I was great at it. But those were the days when you really had no choice but to build your own from a kit just like model cars. And I did. Without a problem. Having done that, I knew the car by heart and could tear it down and build it back up in my sleep. This new one was built-in-the-box. I had to charge it up and that was that. Plus I had nothing but time then. I was in junior high and high school.

So, in addition to not having built it and knowing very little about its guts, I was removed from the r/c world by about 22 years. 

Or, another way to look at it, I got scared and lazy and let it sit in the garage for a little more than half a year.

Greg kept asking me about coming out to race and I would say my truck was laid up. He was going to look at it for me, but we never got around to it and now he's moving. 

For some reason, I finally decided to figure it out and broke it open.

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 1.47.11 PM

It was actually a really simple fix. Almost too simple. So I fixed it, charged the battery a little, and tested it. But not too much. It was 10:30 p.m. by this point and I didn't want to tick off the neighbors. (Today, Nathan and I gave the battery a full charge and let 'er rip. So much fun. But I desperately need a wheelie bar.)

Moving on from the truck last night, I then went inside and went up to bed but wound up scan-watching the final eight episodes of season four of Game of Thrones. I scan-watched because I now realize I have seen this season before, but there were scenes I wanted to watch again so I did... and just skipped the rest. I also finished an episode of Silicon Valley that I had to cut short the other day. So now I'm halfway through season two of that. 

When all was said and done, I went to bed at about 3 a.m. and woke up just before 8 and it was the best night of sleep ever. I hate saying that and, yet, I don't. It really was great. I think I owe Katie one of those. 


Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

The comments to this entry are closed.