2018 has been a fun year on the comic front. I’ve read 38 graphic novels, so far, of which most were ones I’d never read before and were not on the list last year. Heck, five of my seven books below are new to the list! I’ve just been picking up random books and enjoying the heck out of them.
Year in Review
Let the madness begin!!!! Yes, it’s actually time to begin my Kevin’s 7 year-in-review lists. I know I say this pretty much every year, but how are we here already??
Yeah, I get it. The domestic box office slumped a bit this year. But guess what? I saw a lot of movies that I really enjoyed. So many, in fact, that I can’t just do a list o’ seven. I’m gonna do TWO lists o’ seven.
I would like to say that having a new job where we all like to listen to music has made tackling this list a lot easier. I have listened to so much more music in the last four months than I did the entire previous year and a half. So this list is fun again!
I have to admit that a lot has happened with regard to my podcast listening habits this year.
‘Tis the season, y’all, for KEVIN’S 7!! Before I start, I should explain... wait, why should I bother to explain myself again when my disclaimer from last year says everything I need to say here.
I suppose I could've done my Kevin's 7: Movie list yesterday. I know I said we were seeing a movie that might be worth adding to the list sometime today.
Three days left and two Kevin's 7 lists remain! Ho boy. Time to hammer this home, folks. Let's start with TV!
This is usually one of my favorite lists to complete in any given year. But not this year.
Before I get into my Kevin's 7 ranking of comic books, I need to admit that I really didn't read that many comic books this calendar year. There were a few, sure. But much of my reading came about from a backlog of titles that I am only now getting around to reading.
I can't believe it's already time to revisit Kevin's 7. Where did the year go?
Now, for my final Kevin's 7 of 2015... MOVIES!!
Now for one of my favorite lists of the year... MUSIC!!
That's "tweaking" not "twerking." With an "a." One letter makes all the difference, doesn't it? You wouldn't want to see me do the latter anyway. Not pretty. Really.
Another Thursday and another Kevin's 7 best of list. This week? TV SHOWS!!! First off?
Wow! Is it really time already to start year-end lists? It is almost the middle of December, so I guess it is! Here you go... the first of my Kevin's 7 rebranded year-end recaps. This first one? All about comic books!
Any of you who have read my blog longer than four months knows that I have readily taken part in the pretty well overdone art of writing up best-of lists at the end of the calendar year. For at least a handful of years now, in fact.
A little late this list is, wouldn't you say? By "little late," like, "ridonkulously late."
Per a post from Tankboy calling out music reviewers for publishing their best-of lists too early, I decided to delay mine as close to the New Year as possible. No, I'm not going to wait until 2015, but I did push it off as much as I could allowing myself as solid a shot as possible to listen to 2014 music. Hey, December 28 ain't too bad for a YEBO Music list, right?
'Tis the season for YEBO 2014: TV Awards!!! Don't lie. You've been looking forward to this all year, haven't you? I knew it. Let's get started.
It's that time of year again, folks! Yup, year-end best-of lists are going to be littering the web very soon if they haven't started already.
I do believe this is it for my Year-End Best-Of (YEBO) lists. And this one is TV! What always makes this one special is that Katie and I work on it together. Maybe down the line when he's old enough, Nathan will join in the fun, as well.
You all may be a little disappointed by what you're about to read. Today was going to be my Year-End Best-Of (YEBO) Movies list. I went through the list of 2013 movie releases on Wikipedia and discovered something rather disconcerting...
Welcome to my second Year-End Best-Of (YEBO) list of 2014 all about music! In a few moments, I will detail for you my favorite albums of the year. As always, you must realize that, since I'm not a professional music critic, I'm not just given free albums to listen to. I actually have to seek out albums myself either via purchase, from the library, or loaners from friends. So I really don't have too many albums on which to base this list. Only about 52 full albums and two EPs. It was a pretty sparse year. But it was more than enough for me to pick a ten best.
So here you go, in reverse order (10 to 1), my top ten albums of 2014...
Welcome to the first of my Year-End Best-Of (YEBO). Is it cliche to write posts like this? Heck yeah! It's a gimme post... that requires a year's worth of work. Fuhgeddabout da hatuz. I enjoy YEBO posts.
This first installment will cover comic books that I've read. I'm going to post a list of my top five and then a few honorable mentions at the end of it. You'll understand why they're "honorable," I hope.
I've gotta do my Year-End Best-Of (YEBO) Movies list a bit differently than in years past. The problem is that Katie and I didn't see all that many movies this year and, to put it bluntly, there are very few we would truly consider to be "great," let alone 10 of them as my previous list formatting would require.
I'm just clipping along on these Year-End Best-Of (YEBO) lists, aren't I? If this were any other year, I'd be waiting until the tail end of the year (even more tail end than today, December 23, represents) to write these. Now I'm actually done with all but two of my YEBO lists.
I'm such an overachiever! Must. Stop.
The way I figure it, this might just be the last opportunity I have this calendar year to present you with a Tu(n)esday! Next Tuesday is Christmas and the one after that is the first day of 2013. Well, if we survive December 21, that is.
Wow. Where does the time go?
Sorry I didn't give you a Snippet Wednesday last night. But I've got an idea for you... I need to start doing my year-end best-of (YEBO) lists and I thought, at least with a few of them, I can do them as Snippets. Might be interesting, right?
Plus, I've gotta change things up a bit around here with my YEBO lists as I don't feel right doing a top 10 countdown for music or movies as I wasn't entirely "committed to the cause," as it were, with either. I can easily name a favorite album of the year, but movie? Not so easy this year. So I may just do Snippetized lists of ones that I enjoyed of each.
TV Awards will be done the same, though. No way to Snippet that. Oh, and I'm adding one or two YEBO lists this year. And this is the first of those...
Welcome to the first ever blog post written using my new combination of iPad and Apple Wireless Keyboard. This is quite handy. I can get used to this.
The only issue I'm having right now is that that iPad version of Safari doesn't allow for rich-text formatting with the WYSIWYG editor of my blogware. Oh well, I guess I get to do HTML formatting. That'll be fun. Especially with a post like this.
I know, I know. I said Thursday. And here it is Friday. Still and all the same, though, it is now time for the Kapgar Top 10 Albums of 2011!!!
As much fun as this post typically is and as much as I enjoy music, I always hate posting this. Why? Well, there are typically two reasons:
Hi-ho! And welcome to the 2011 Primetime TV Kappy Awards!
For the record, that was supposed to be a sorta impersonation of Kermit the Frog and not an invitation to prostitutes to read this post. Not that prostitutes who are so inclined are not allowed to read my blog. I wholly encourage it. I just don't actively solicit it... or them... or... hell, let's just get on with it, shall we?
I told you I'd post it today, and I posted it today. Whether my RSS feed updates is outside my control. So for that I'm sorry.
But I welcome you to the 2009 Primetime TV Kappy Awards!
A few notes... these awards relate to shows as they aired in the 2009 calendar year (with one exception detailed below), not the traditional network television season, not the non-traditional cable television season, not nothing like that. Just what's going on. Coolness?
First, the list of shows we've watched over the last year from which these awards are derived:
I think that's about it. God, I hope that's about it.
- Best Dramatic Acting - Jon Hamm, "Don Draper," Mad Men
- Best Comedic Acting - Jim Parsons, "Sheldon Cooper," The Big Bang Theory
- Best Dramatic 1-2 Punch - Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic, "Richard Castle and Kate Beckett," Castle - sure, this is borderline between drama and comedy, but you'll just have to accept that I'm using it as drama
- Best Comedic 1-2 Punch - James Roday and Dule Hill, "Shawn Spencer and Burton 'Gus' Guster," Psych (at right) - this one is more comedy than drama despite being a cop show like Castle
- Best Dramatic Ensemble - Burn Notice - and, if you're smart, you're tuned in to the Burn Notice marathon on USA as I type this
- Best Comedic Ensemble - The Big Bang Theory
- Best Male Comeback - (tie) Nathan Fillion, "Richard Castle," Castle and Ed O'Neill, "Jay Pritchett," Modern Family
- Best Female Comeback - Courtney Cox, "Jules Cobb," Cougar Town
- Best One-Off Guest Role - Wil Wheaton, "Wil Wheaton," The Big Bang Theory
- Dark Alley Award - Jimmy Smits, "Miguel Prado," Dexter - yeah, his run on the show aired in late 2008, but not being a Showtime subscriber, I didn't have it available to me until 2009; and he was just too bad ass to not have earned this designation
- Best Drama - Castle
- Best Comedy - The Big Bang Theory
- Canceled Too Soon - (tie) Life on Mars and Life
- Most Overstayed Welcome - The Cleaner - it was amazing how quickly this show went from really exciting and a great vehicle for Benjamin Bratt to a lot of the same old, same old... and then cancellation
- Lost in Left Field - Grey's Anatomy - this show needs to find its way and we keep hoping it will but it just adds too many new characters all the damn time in a pathetic attempt at self resuscitation and it consequently loses us
- Where the Hell'd You Go - Flashpoint - this is simply because we love this show and we want it back
- Most Surprising Show (in a Good Way) - Cougar Town - we started watching this not expecting much at all and darn if it doesn't make us laugh harder than many shows
- Second Chancer - Modern Family - we watched the first two episodes and didn't really care too much for it; then, due to prompting from one of Katie's students, we started again about a month or so later and now we love it
- Best Network - USA - c'mon! It has Burn Notice, Psych, Royal Pains and White Collar!
- Worst Network - NBC - according to Katie, we have one night of television (Thursday) that we watch and they killed an entire primetime hour every night of the week for a Jay Leno variety show that couldn't possibly be any worse than it is, or could it?
Would you counternominate any actors or shows in these categories? Please share!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
I always intend to do one of those year-end wrap-ups that so many other bloggers do so well, but I get so locked up in these awards I do that I forget.
How about we talk about the actual day instead? So how'd you spend it?
Katie and I did the same thing we like to do each year... wine, Chinese food, pajamas, and movies!
Can it be any better?